Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Quincy Mumford

Earlier this evening my wife and I got to see Quincy Mumford perform at Borders in Eatontown New Jersey. Each month Border's has an up and coming artist perform. The shows are presented by 90.5 the Night (a great local radio station based out of Brookdale Community College). Quincy is starting to make some noise on the local music scene, and even had a big write up in the ALIVE section of the Asbury Park Press last week. Not bad for a 16 year old.
I had purchased Quincy's CD a couple months back at Mumford's Culinary Center in Tinton Falls ,New Jersey. Yes they are related. Quincy's proud Father told me that if I purchased the CD and I did not like it, I would get my money back. Well, I kept the CD and I am happy I did. Quincy is not your typical teen musician. The best way to describe his style is acoustic rock that has very catchy hooks, and optimistic lyrics. There are definitely shades of Jack Johnson to be heard.
Quincy's father mentioned to me that he would be playing at Borders and I decided to check it out. Quincy drew a pretty good sized crowd, and gave a great performance. He was joined early in the set by an acoustic bass player and then a drummer. Sadly I can not remember their names. Quincy had a good connection with the audience and held his own for the 50 minute set.
Here are the songs performed, but slightly out of order.

Spread the Weather
Pots & Pans
Diane
Fall Down
Dock on a Bay
Grateful
My Town
Angels Day
Let Me Down
Imagine(John Lennon Cover)

Here's hoping that this is the start of a long career and that he is given the chance to grow as a musician and artist.

No comments: