Monday, October 6, 2008

Madonna - Izod Center 10/04/2008


I have a short list of performers I am yet to see, that I would love to see given the chance. Allison Krauss & Union Station, Mark Knopfler,Loretta Lynn, and Prince are a few of the musicians on that list. Madonna is another. I have wanted to see her for some time, but never had the chance. I finally had the opportunity this past weekend, and it was worth the wait.
I've never thought that Madonna had the best voice, or a really good one for that matter. I do like a lot of her music and think she is a great performer. Her performances from Live 8 and Live Earth cemented my desire to see her. I thought for only having a couple songs to perform at those benefit concerts, she gave memorable performances.
I know that she is a performer whose concerts tend to lean heavy on new material. That's fine by me. I'd rather see someone doing something new, and not living off of what they once were. Well, she actually did perform a healthy amount of past hits, but many were reworked to blend with her newer material.
The choreography, the staging, the sets were all pretty impressive. It was a rare concert where I found certain moments truly exciting. I don't mean great, or fun, but exciting.
I'm not actually into dance music, but I find her songs pretty catchy and usually very atmospheric. The choreography never substituted for actual performance. The bulk of the songs were choreographed, but some like Borderline,Human Nature and Ray of Light had Madonna fronting her band and "playing" guitar.
The show was broken into 4 parts with an interlude in between the sections to make way for costume and set changes.
The final interlude continued the "tick tock" theme which was present throughout the show, from beginning to end. Sadly the video image for this included a pretty sophomoric political stab at John McCain.
Understand, I have no problem with musicians who make political statements. I'll either agree or disagree, but I can handle it. I'm an adult and I do believe everyone has a right to their political views. Maybe if a performer spent a whole show politicizing instead of singing, I might feel differently. But to make a couple statements ,whether I agree or not, will not wound me. Having said that, I pretty much agreed with the environmental and humanitarian issues Madonna addressed in the video montage, but to associate John McCain with Hitler and Robert Mugabe, is pretty simplistic. No, I do not agree with Mr. McCain, but to associate him with two of the most horrendous public figures ever is a little simplistic. I'm not sure if the message was McCain is as evil as they were/are, or if Hitler and Mugabe were really terrible environmentalists. But it's her concert and it's her opinion.
When Madonna tours again I hope to see her and hope she can top what I saw the other night, it will not be easy.
Below is the setlist from the show with some notes specific to each song.


Candy Shop -Great entrance seated on a throne.
Beat Goes On-Kanye West on video
Human Nature-Playing guitar, Britney Spears in video montage.
Vogue

*Interlude* Die Another Day remix

Get Into the Groove-Keith Haring artwork on video.
Heartbeat
Borderline-Rock version fronting band, playing guitar.
She's Not Me-4 old school Madonna's on small stage center arena.
Music

*Interlude* Here Comes the Rain Again remix

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
Spanish Lesson
La Isla Bonita-with Kolpakov Trio
Kolpakov Trio song
You Must Love Me-with Kolpakov Trio

*Interlude* Get Stupid

4 Minutes- Justin Timberlake on video.
Like a Prayer
Ray of Light-Fronting band, playing guitar.
Open Your Heart-One verse with audience
Hung Up
Give it to Me

No comments: