Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In Memoriam-Kevin Kavanaugh

Local musician and one of the original members of the Asbury Jukes, Kevin Kavanaugh, passed away on Saturday June 4, 2011.
Although I can not give the historical background of Mr. Kavanaugh's involvement with the New Jersey music scene, I can talk about the many times I was fortunate enough to see him perform. The first time was with Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes at Stockton State College back in 1986, and the last time was with Bobby Bandiera's Rock N Soul Revue at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank New Jersey where they backed such artists as Gary U.S. Bonds, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and Southside Johnny.
In between I got to see him perform a few times with Southside and the Jukes, both as a member and a guest, and with Bobby Bandiera's(also a Juke) band. But most memorably was the time I saw him perform at the Stone Pony with the Asbury All Stars. This was a band which I saw with two different line-ups. The first time I saw them the band consisted on Mr. Kavanaugh on organ, Bobby Bandiera on Guitar, Hal Seltzer on bass, and a drummer, whose name escapes me. They played at the Stone Pony over the July 4th weekend in 1987. Glen Burtnick joined them for the second half of the show. The setlist included La Bamba and Baby It's You, both performed by Glen Burtnick, and Under the Sun, a Bandiera original recorded by The Jukes, State Trooper, and many many more.
A couple weeks later on July 20, 1987, the Asbury All Stars played a benefit for the Make a Wish Foundation at the Stone Pony, which also included The Fairlaines, and Glen Burtnick backed by Cats on a Smooth Surface.
For this performance, the All Stars were once again Kevin and Bobby from the Jukes, but this time the rhythm section consisted of Gary Tallent on Bass and Max Weinberg on drums, both from the E Street Band.Their set opened with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band leading into With a Little Help From My Friends,  and included Manic Depression, Under the Sun, La Bamba, and many more I sadly cannot remember.
The show was amazing and Mr. Kavanaugh, as always, was remarkable.
 I was fortunate enough to get to meet him one time when I worked at the local mall. He was as nice as I could have hoped for.
My heart goes out to his family and friends and I hope he may Rest in Peace.

No comments: