Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bon Jovi - 10/12/1992 - The Fast Lane, Asbury Park, N.J.

   In memory of The Fast Lane which has just been demolished, I wanted to post the setlist from the second show I was able to see there.
   Back in 1992, Bon Jovi performed a special show at the Fast Lane prior to the release of what was considered by some to be their "comeback" album, Keep the Faith.It was their first album since the hugely successful New Jersey.
   The show was announced a couple days before the actual performance. I remember going down trying to get tickets for my then girlfriend(now wife) and I. No luck. The line was super long and did not seem to move at all once they went on sale. After an hour or so of standing in one spot I took a look at the front of the line which was a huge mass of people and I knew that there were more people than tickets available.
   The night of the show, just a day or two later, we went down hoping we might be able to get a couple tickets. We waited outside and listened as the show started. Local band Mr. Reality opened, and even performed outside for the large crowd which had shown up hoping to get in. Bon Jovi pulled up moments before they took the stage and waved to the crowd before entering through what I imagine was the stage entrance. They opened with A Little Help From My Friends, the Beatles song done in the Joe Cocker arrangement. As the show progressed a few of the people who worked the door would grab a bunch of the tickets that they collected, and would go to an alley at the side of the club and sell them. After several songs, my girlfriend got two and we were in. We crammed our way in and even managed to keep the stubs. This was one souvenir she was not about to give up.  We came in as the band was performing I'll Sleep When I'm Dead,the first of 3 new songs they did from Keep the Faith. It sounded great, a perfect bar band song. The crowd was peppered with local musicians, Danny Federici from the E Street Band, John Eddie and Lance Larson, who wound up performing with Bon Jovi in the encore. Lance managed to make his way through the shoulder to shoulder crowd when Jon called for him to come up during the encore. He heard Lance was there, but was not sure if it was true. Jon Bon Jovi talked about seeing one of Lance's bands The Lord Gunner Group at the Fast Lane and being very upset that original drummer Vini Lopez was replaced by some new guy, who turned out to be Tico Torres, who eventually became the drummer for Bon Jovi.
   Early in the show when someone yelled for them to do an old one, they did a very short version of their first hit Runaway, but then said he was more excited to do the new stuff, and launced into I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.
   The band worked several covers into their own songs, in tribute to the bar where many of them played in their youth. Jon fronted The Rest, The Atlantic City Expressway and The Wild Ones, who played the Fast Lane regularly.
   I only saw 3 shows at the Fast Lane, but this is one show that regardless of where it was, is one that I will always remember. Here's the setlist.

                   With a Little Help From My Friends(Beatles/Joe Cocker cover)
                   Wild in the Streets
                   You Give Love a Bad Name
                   Born to be My Baby
                   I'd Die For You
                   Runaway
                   I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
                   Bed of Roses
                   Keep the Faith
                   Lay Your Hands on Me
                   Good Lovin'(Rascals Cover)/Bad Medicine/Shout(Isley Brothers cover)
          
                   Livin' on a Prayer(Acoustic version)
                   Midnight Rambler(Allman Brothers cover)/Wanted Dead or Alive
                   Kansas City(Little Richard cover) w/Lance Larson
                   Blaze of Glory


              
   
  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Man...i was there too! I didn't have tickets at first but i got it later on during the second song!Great memories! I wish i had pictures. Thanks for the set list!