Saturday, May 31, 2008

EURO 2008

Euro 2008 starts in one week. The World Cup is the biggest tournament in soccer/football, but the Euro Cup is probably the next biggest. I will admit I do not follow it as closely as I do the World Cup, but I will be watching. I hope, really hope, that Portugal does well. Watching the qualifiers leading up to Euro 2008, and even the friendly today where they defeated Georgia 2-0, I can only think one thing, I wish Luis Figo was still playing for the national team and still captain. Portugal has many good players, Ronaldo, Deco, Ricardo, Simao to name a few, but they still seem slightly disorganized. I guess to someone who isn't truly familiar with the nuances of the game, you don't realize how much a good captain truly sets the pace of the game and keeps the the rest of the team focused and in order. Figo did just that.
Well, here's to hoping I'm not writing in 2 weeks about how Portugal is now eliminated from the tournament and they can regroup and concentrate on World Cup qualifying. And maybe Figo will think about coming back for a few games after the Euro Cup.

GO FORCA PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: