Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mariza - Carnegie Hall 10/07/2005




Sometimes you find magic in the places you least expect it.
A few years back a friend at work lent me one of her Mariza CD's. We were talking about Fado singers and Mariza was the one that was bringing Fado to a new generation in Portugal. Fado is a music form that is uniquely Portuguese. Fado means fate, it is the Portuguese blues. The most famous Fado singer was Amália Rodrigues. She is the one that all others are compared to. She is Sinatra, Edith Piaf, Caruso, Bob Dylan, The Beatles. She is the one all others aspire to be, and are inevitably compared to.
Mariza is taking Fado to a new place. Unlike many Fado singers that sing from the past catalog of Fado songs, Mariza also performs songs that contain elements of not only Fado but also of African and Brazilian music. Mariza also knows that to perform this classic, beautiful music in larger concert halls, a bit of theatricality is needed. Her dresses, her hair, her movements, are not traditional Fado. But you need those sort of artists to shake the foundation every once in a while. Think what Savion Glover has done for tap, or what Michael Flatley has done for Irish step dancing.
Back on October of 2007, I had tickets to go see Mariza at Carnegie Hall. My wife and I had great seats, and I was looking very forward to it. Unfortunately my wife was not . Two things she hates. Rainy weather and New York. Well, we got them both. She was a sport and did not complain. We got into New York and got to Carnegie Hall pretty quickly. As soon as they opened the Hall, we got in.
I felt bad, but figured she might like the show. She's Portuguese, and liked Fado, so there was a chance. About 2 songs into the show, she leaned over and said "she's really good". It was one of the happiest moments in my concert going life. For once I dragged my Wife to a show she was actually enjoying. It didn't make up the the times I took her to see the Grateful Dead, but it was a step in the right direction
But beyond that, Mariza WAS great. Her voice, her connection with the audience. I may not have understood everything she sang, but she sang with real emotion. It never felt forced or manufactured. She has a beautiful voice and the musicians were amazing. I almost screamed out "yes" when started to perform Barco Negro, my favorite Fado song. I knew the Amália Rodrigues version, but did not know Mariza performed it also.
During the encores she spoke of how she was honored to be playing Carnegie Hall and how she looked at the photos on the walls of past performers, and felt small in their shadow. I'm sure one day, the same will be said about her. She offered a condensed version of New York State of Mind saying how New York is her favorite city in the world.
We were lucky to see Mariza a year and half later when she came to our neighboring town. But that first time seeing her, with the person most important to me, will always hold a special place in my heart.

I will include the main set list and musicians below.

Luis Guerreiro-Portuguese Guitar
Antonio Neto-Classical Guitar
Vasco Sousa-Bass Guitar
Antonio Barbosa-Violin
Ricardo Mateus-Viola
Paulo Moreira-Cello
Joao Pedro Ruela-Percussion


Loucoura
Quando Me Sinto So
Maria Lisboa
Montras
Ha Uma Musica Do Povo
Barco Negro
Meu Fado Meu
Instrumental
Duas Lagrimas
Cavaleiro Monge
Recusa
Transparente
Feira de Castro
Oiça Lá Ó Senhor Vinho
Primavera

No comments: