Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers-Mann Music Center 8/15/89



Some concerts leave an imprint immediately, some don't. The first time I saw Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers was back in 1989 at the Mann Music Center in Pennsylvania. The tour was in support of his great Full Moon Fever album/CD. I wound up going with a couple friends of mine from college. We went up the day of the show and bought lawn seats, but actually wound up sitting in the general admission bleachers. The concert was just one of several I went to once I started to go to concerts regularly. I probably wouldn't have gone, had it not been suggested. I was very glad I did. The venue was pretty nice, and Tom and the band were great. The Replacements were the opening act, and to be honest they did not win me over. If I saw them now it might be a different story.

I thought overall the concert was very good, but it didn't stand out as one of my favorites. Many years would go by before I would see Petty again, and I was impressed album after album at how good the songs were and how good the band was. When I did see Petty again,many many years later at the PNC Bank Arts Center, I don't think that for any reason the show was better, I think I just appreciated how many great songs he had. They piled up one after another: American Girl, You Wreck Me, Learning To Fly, the list goes on.
Sadly, drummer Stan Lynch was no longer in the band and bassist Howie Epstein had passed away. But new drummer Steve Ferrone and original Heartbreakers bassist Ron Blair were great.

I found the old program for the Mann Music Center and the setlist I copied down during the show. Looking at the songs performed, I do think if I saw that show now I would remember it vividly.




***Setlist***


American Girl
Feel a Whole Lot Better
Free Fallin"
The Waiting
Breakdown
I Won't Back Down
Benmont Tench Piano Solo
Mike Campbell Guitar Solo
Don't Come Around Here No More
Even the Losers
Milk Cow Blues(Elvis Presley Cover)
Face in the Crowd
Yer So Bad
You Got Lucky
The Rebel
I Need To Know
Should I Stay or Should I Go(Clash cover)
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream

Crazy For You
Jammin' Me



No comments: