Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson-Loss of a Legend


Anyone who knows me, knows that I think the word "legend" is overused. Today a legitimate legend and icon passed away.
Michael Jackson passed away at the very young age of 50.
I'd be lying if I said I grew up loving Michael Jackson and thought he was the greatest. I never bought any of his albums and never saw him in concert.
To me, Michael Jackson was a cultural phenomenon that got stranger and stranger as the years went on.
The allegations of child molestation and the plastic surgeries and his wearing of surgical masks, to name a few things, just made him seem more and more unreal.

What it is easy to forget are the following things.

Many of his songs are pop masterpiece's: Thriller,Beat It,Off the Wall,Billie Jean,Black or White,Smooth Criminal to name a few.

Whose jaw didn't hit the floor the first time you saw him moonwalk on the Motown Anniversary special.

His music videos were events, when videos meant something.

His appearance with N'Sync on the MTV Music Video Awards was exciting.
And most importantly, intentionally or not, he managed to connect with a wider audience than any other pop star. People from so many different races, religions and cultures connected to him.

I personally think he started to recycle his own dance moves as time went on, he never really changed much musically or performance wise like Madonna or Prince did.
But for those years in the early 80's to the late 80's, no one was more recognized as the king of pop music as Michael Jackson was, rightfully so.
In the late 90's I started to hear his music differently. I thought a lot of the songs were really good. Maybe it was a bit of nostalgia on my part, but I'd like to think it's because I really heard how good his early output was and how talented he truly was.
I don't think anyone can deny that Thriller is one of the greatest records of all time. It may not be your cup of tea, but you can't argue with a work that has been referenced by many artists and one that stands up still as a great album.
Prior to Michael Jackson there had been other artists of color on MTV such as American Garland Jeffreys and Joan Armatrading from the U.K. But Michael Jackson helped to usher in a broader range of music on the channel. It was no longer "rock" only.
In the future, I don't doubt that Mr. Jackson's personal life will once again be discussed and picked apart. But for today I'll remember the artist that blew open the doors on MTV for African American artists, whose Billie Jean video was always a highlight for me while watching MTV after school, whose song "The Way You Make Me Feel" has always been a favorite of mine, and the person who will always be remembered a great entertainer.
My favorite memory of Michael Jackson will always be his tribute to Sammy Davis Jr. years ago on TV. He performed the song "You Were There". No effects, no dance moves. Just Michael singing a beautiful song, with a voice you could easily forget he had. It was a great moment and probably the one I will remember as my favorite.
Rest in Peace.

1 comment:

mylilbrie said...

This is a very nice way to remember him.
:)